Monday 9 September 2013

My Decoupage Art Coffee Table!



Hello all you lovely people :)

I am so excited to be sharing my Decoupage Art with you today. I have been inspired by Selenarte Decoupage, and wanted to explore this art for myself, it turned out beautiful!
 
Hope you enjoy reading this tutorial, as much as I enjoyed doing it!
xoxo



DIY: Découpage Coffee Table: Art, Culture and History Spanning the Ages



Decoupage’s origins are speculated to have started with East Siberian tomb art.  The tombs of the deceased from Nomadic tribes used to be decorated with cut out pieces of felts.  The practice traveled from Siberia to China, which by the 12th Century, using the decoupage method of cutting out paper became popular.  It was vintage art which was used to decorate lanterns, windows, boxes and other objects.  It’s thought these practices made its way to Europe by way of Italy, who in the 17th Century, was at the forefront of trade with the Far East.

Drawing forth this ancient form of art into the modern world, I made a visit to Blick’s Art Supply store which had beautiful handmade paper.  In decoupage bliss I picked out a few lovely pieces to work with.  My goal was to use a desk from Shop4furniture; a hand me down from my mum.

 Materials:

·         Sponge brush – 4 inches for larger projects

·         Paper of your choice

·         Mod Podge

·         Measuring tape

·         Rag





How to:

1.      Clean the surface of your medium






 















 












2. Cut out your pieces to exactly the size you need them to be.   





Hint: As shown in the picture I smoothed down the corners of the paper around the surface I needed them to fit in order to create a bend I could follow to cut.








3.      Arrange them and make sure they fit the way you’d like them to.







4.      Apply Mod Podge to the back of the paper.










5.      Apply the paper to your medium, one piece at a time.








6.      Smooth the paper with your hand, starting in the middle and working toward the edges.


7.      Take your sponge brush and start brushing on a medium thick coat in large brush strokes over the whole project.  Be careful not to be too rough with delicate paper.



8.      Allow to dry according to the bottle, and apply a second coat if necessary.







Voila, from boring table to a unique and beautiful piece for your home collection!  Love your home for less has been my motto and I believe anything can be made beautiful if you put your heart and soul in it!








8 comments:

  1. Hi, Eva

    The coffee table turned out great!!!

    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Vanessa, I sure am happy with how it turned out :D
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a stunning before and after. Your new table looks so chic and stylish. It's like your table was on what not to wear and has had a stunning reveal. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I am so flattered by the compliments! Thank you Amy! It was indeed a fun experience exploring and experimenting with Decoupage :)

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I have a cabinet I'd love to due this to. Love your table. Thanks for sharing at the party & hope to see you again this week. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why thank you Theresa, it really was simple :) just chose nice patterns and you will come up with something fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Eva. Finally got here after almost three weeks of holiday. I'm back on track. You have turned your table into the real piece of art. Well done Eva.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna, I am glad you liked this! Thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete